Thursday, October 27, 2005

IN MY DREAM

IN MY DREAM.....

"I USED to be a CUCKOO and an ol' good CUCKOO, too

But now I've finished 'CUCKOO-ING,

I don't know what to do,I'm growing old and feeble,

and I can't CUCKOO no more

So I'm going to work my ticket if I can....

Back to GILWELL, Happy Land, I'm going to work my ticket, if I can..."

I used to be an Assistant Leader Trainer with the Boy Scouts of the Philippines

National Training Team, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Those were the days....

>when training on weekends seems to be endless and no one finds me at home to clean my stuff.

>when I'd go home after 7 days of Wood Badge Training and ask Nanay to turn on the lights,because I can't see my own reflection on the mirror:

yeah...that one was quite a shock!

But I just laughed it off and when the skin started to peel off, grrr... it was a horrible sight!

But then, again, who cares?

I enjoyed each night I didn't sleep and worked on projects with members of my group.

I equally enjoyed soaking in the sun as the daily Flag-raising Ceremony went on quite too long for comfort....because some group failed to reach the day's targets...

.I didn't care....

it was alright by me...

I was up and about at the wee hours of the morning doing the works my old members cannot accomplish.

It was my job to fetch the water and the firewoods and all those cleaning of our Teepee and the toilets...I was the youngest, that's why...

>when I attended a 'higher' training in Angeles City under the auspices of the Provincial Governor.....it was an incredible experience.

I had to compete with people whose positions in government and the private sectors were superfragilistik. The place and the eats were subsidized by the Pampanga Council then. We were even made to tour great places in the province as an added bonus.

>when I have to attend Baguio Summer/Christmas Camps every year...

and I have to lead some several hundreds of young Scouts from that one great place in the heart of Manila....along with fellow Scouters Rey, Mommy Santos, Sir Rolly, Maki, John, Gio, Gideon and more...

.I remember Manny Guevarra [he, whose face could rival those of Aga or any other heart throb around], Vladimir Murata,Pua [that 'makulit' boy from Sta.Ana[?] who always ask me which brief to wear], Bryce Abella [that great smile and superb leadership], and many,many more from the "Y" group.

>when I have attended hundreds [I have lost count, really!] of those PTCs, Part 1, Part 2, whatever they call it now...Basic Training Courses in Metro Manila, including those of the Mormons Group....

I miss all of those.....

all of them....

But what I miss most is the time I spent with Edith and Sir JPS.

>>>>> while in Cebu for a big gathering of Scouts in that region. I spent a few days only and had to fly back to Manila after three days because of another commitment.

>>>>>>in numerous activities, mostly Training Courses in almost all areas in the Archipelago.

I miss Sir JPS most:

I wonder where he is now.

Is he alright?

Is he up and about?

JPS was great:

he with that magnetic personality and great mind,

with his smiling eyes that seem to twinkle as he deliver speeches.....

He was also a UP grad and had a brilliant mind that remains unparalled by any of those left in the Bureau.

He once worked as a Chem Engr.but resigned to lead the World Scouts Bureau,Asia-Pacific Region.

A good speaker, I was always impressed at how he deliver talks and lectures. It was my aim then,to be able to acquire even a fraction of his skills....

I tried to call him once and the wife answered.

She said Sir is afflicted with some disease she failed to mention. She, a one-time nurse,didn't want to hand in the phone to Sir, because he was resting....I just wanted to greet him "Happy Birthday"that day: March 15...

He was the one who supported me and believed in me....

along with CB, who recommended my 'jump' from the ordinary 'WoodBadge two-beads holder' to that of an ALT.It was approved by these two heavyweights in Boy Scouting that none were allowed to pose opposition....

In my mind, they are only recognizing real effort when they see one.

IN a society where even the Boy Scouts hierarchy have been "invaded" by heavy politicking, that move was unprecedented.

I know.

JPS and CB were never that popular.

But these two were real great in proposing extensive reform especially in the Training aspect of the BoyScouts.

NOW.....

I wonder how the BSP is going about with its Training.....

I wonder how my friends there are doing....

I want to see them, too... .....

"ON THOSE GRAND WEEKENDS with my dear old friends....

and see the Training Ground...

.Oh the grass is greener back in GILWELL..

.and I hear again the Scouting air...

and in memory...I see BP.....

who never will be far from there....."


No comments: