Sunday, August 07, 2005

SUMMER AND OTHER LITTLE THINGS


I WOKE UP to the sound of CICADAS [any of a family (Cicadidae) of homopterous insects which have a stout body, wide blunt head, and large transparent wings and the males of which produce a loud buzzing noise usually by stridulation] in the air. Indeed, THE SOUND OF SUMMER!I NOTICED that everytime daylight seeps into the horizon, the cicadas start to be busy, too. They are everywhere: in our garden, from my nearest neighbor's, in the trees that line the streets while I drive to a certain destination...PRACTICALLY EVERYWHERE! TREES line most Japanese homes. And where there are trees, plants and gardens [forests, too!], there cicadas thrive also. Not that it bothers my sleep, my whole being or anything like that.... NO...it's not that...but that it certainly brings that very "summery" sound with it. CICADAS do not seem to stop giving out that sound...or is it any wonder why it is continuous? Perhaps there are thousands of 'em circling around and frolicking in the hot summer day like today. Ahhh...summer!

NOT ONLY CICADAS make summer fun. The local folks, especially the young... are quite gaga over KABUTOMUSHI [KABUTO=helmet;/MUSHI=insect] or what is referred to as RHINOCEROS BEETLE in the western world. They sure sell quite well here. Collectors of all ages grab them for keeps. Kids, however make do with the small ones which sells fast in Home Centers, Pet Shops, and even in Department Stores. Some fanatics even bet money as they propel these BEETLES in contests in some local community centers. Whichever Beetle can push the other out of the circle, is declared the winner. Hah!

ME? I started a small aquarium here.... to while away my time, and ease the loneliness [which creeps in...at times]. I saw some in a flower shop, and they were selling em...so I thought, why not? I now have a companion: a pair of fish.

SUMMER: CICADAS, BEETLES, PET FISH....

AHHHH.....SMALL THINGS IN LIFE =CAN= MAKE PEOPLE HAPPY,

DON'T YOU THINK?

No comments: