Saturday, August 20, 2005

QUESTIONS AND APATHY

I REMEMBER reading the xeroxed-copy of "THE CONJUGAL DICTATORSHIP" among my parent's files. It looked yellow and old, proof of its era. I was hesitant at first to touch it, since they looked like pieces of draft term paper. Besides, the print in some pages are faded. This "xerox thing" was the fad at that time, since possession of the banned book could translate to treason. So my Nanay had it copied from the original which was owned by a nameless UP Professor. AS SOON as I started reading the first few pages, I found myself transformed to that time. The book [or its cheap counterpart] was easy read that I was able to finish it in no time.

NOWADAYS, youngsters no longer care what happened during MARTIAL LAW. The only thing they 'heard' or 'know' is that martial law was "strict". "That's it?"....I'd venture...As if on cue, everyone else then shift the flow of coversation to other mundane, light conversation. ONE THING I can't stand is the " blehh hehs, and the wehs in most if not all conversation among my contemporaries. Chats never make my day, unless of course, the one on the other line makes sense. I am not sure I'll be able to say this right, but some Pinoys simply do not care!

THE SCHOOLS have not been doing their share in teaching HISTORY and what REALLY TRANSPIRED in the country. The DepEd officials have been remiss of their basic function: to dessiminate basic knowldege and instill LOVE OF COUNTRY. What better way to teach the young than by doing it in the classroom. Some classrooms have been littered by teachers whose colored version of History has made some brains grayer than it was before. I remember a Grade3 Araling Panlipunan teacher. He was Ilocano, thus, he dealt more on the good rather than the truth about Marcos. To some pupils who were easily swayed, this can be the deciding factor. It's a good thing matigas ang ulo ko.

MARCOS may have initiated some 'good' things to the nation, but the good ones were superceded by the bad. Martial law and his "Bagong Lipunan" have been a minus rather than a plus.

SCHOOLS, and the citizenry have oftentimes shown APATHY and lack of "PAKIALAM" about the country's affairs. They have decided to look at the other side and pretend not to see what is happening around them.

I WONDER:

DO we still have democracy in the country?

WHY can some people violate the LAW and get away with it?

WHY do most allow such gross violations of the Law by the top leaders of the Land?

WHERE IS garci and Doble?

WHY do some power-hungry ridicule the Law and roam the country scot-free?

WHY are some people related to the dictator been allowed to run for public office?

HOW do most Pinoys show LOVE of COUNTRY?

SO MANY QUESTIONS=NO CONCRETE ANSWERS.

THE EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT DO NOT EXECUTE LAWS=THEY VIOLATE IT.

THE PEOPLE SUFFER= NOT ENOUGH JOB FOR EVERYONE.

SAMANTALA, the 'MASA" simply do not care!


No comments: